Don't let your schooling interfere with your education.
~ Pete Seeger

Thursday, August 7, 2008

This Body

A poem from those dark days before transition began…


This body is not mine.

The name it was born with fits like the iron mask

of the Inquisition.


This body is not home.

All I've lived in and it's still strange, with unfamiliar art on the walls

and dirty dishes that never graced my table.


This body is not comfortable.

I itch with passions like nettles,

scattered, a realm ruled by a stranger.


This body is not mine.

I don't know who looks at me in the mirror. A man

who came from my mother's Womb

and stole my place in her heart.


This body stole my friends and lovers,

stole my clothes and dreams

and I go with it, without home.


by Seda


Hey, I never said it was good. The point is, my body is not me, and it has nothing at all to do with me – except it's the vessel that carries me around, my interface with the world. Like Mac OS running on a PC. The software doesn't function with this particular hardware.

No comments:

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.
~Helen Keller

Reading List for Information about Transpeople

  • Becoming a Visible Man, by Jamison Green
  • Conundrum, by Jan Morris
  • Gender Outlaw, by Kate Bornstein
  • My Husband Betty, by Helen Boyd
  • Right Side Out, by Annah Moore
  • She's Not There, by Jennifer Boylan
  • The Riddle of Gender, by Deborah Rudacille
  • Trans Liberation, by Leslie Feinberg
  • Transgender Emergence, by Arlene Istar Lev
  • Transgender Warriors, by Leslie Feinberg
  • Transition and Beyond, by Reid Vanderburgh
  • True Selves, by Mildred Brown
  • What Becomes You, by Aaron Link Raz and Hilda Raz
  • Whipping Girl, by Julia Serano

I have come into this world to see this:
the sword drop from men's hands even at the height
of their arc of anger
because we have finally realized there is just one flesh to wound
and it is His - the Christ's, our
Beloved's.
~Hafiz