Don't let your schooling interfere with your education.
~ Pete Seeger

Monday, January 14, 2008

Piercing connection

Last night I went down to High Priestess to get two new holes pierced in my right earlobe. A. greeted me at the door, his face covered in swirls of tattoos, with multiple piercings in eyebrows, nose, ears, and lips. He took my order with friendly professionalism, and put my opal earrings in the autoclave. I waited a little while, and joined J. in the piercing room.

J. had many tattoos, also, though none on his face. Wood plugs the diameter of a pop can stretched his earlobes. We talked about our children while he prepped my lobe and pierced it. We have kids about the same age, his daughter eight to T’s seven. He spoke of his daughter with great affection, how she snuggles with him, she’s the light of his life. It was a sweet connection, and I thought, how wonderful to live this life without judging by appearance. I could have missed that easily, but instead my life was enriched.

No comments:

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.
~Helen Keller

Reading List for Information about Transpeople

  • Becoming a Visible Man, by Jamison Green
  • Conundrum, by Jan Morris
  • Gender Outlaw, by Kate Bornstein
  • My Husband Betty, by Helen Boyd
  • Right Side Out, by Annah Moore
  • She's Not There, by Jennifer Boylan
  • The Riddle of Gender, by Deborah Rudacille
  • Trans Liberation, by Leslie Feinberg
  • Transgender Emergence, by Arlene Istar Lev
  • Transgender Warriors, by Leslie Feinberg
  • Transition and Beyond, by Reid Vanderburgh
  • True Selves, by Mildred Brown
  • What Becomes You, by Aaron Link Raz and Hilda Raz
  • Whipping Girl, by Julia Serano

I have come into this world to see this:
the sword drop from men's hands even at the height
of their arc of anger
because we have finally realized there is just one flesh to wound
and it is His - the Christ's, our
Beloved's.
~Hafiz