Don't let your schooling interfere with your education.
~ Pete Seeger

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Some Good Finds…

Every day, going to work and coming home, I pass a boutique that features women's clothing, much of it locally made, in pretty, simple styles and natural fibers (linen, tencel, rayon, organic cotton). No garish prints. Of course, such clothing costs a lot, so I just drool as I ride by.

Yesterday, however, there was a sidewalk sale. I did a double-take, jammed on my brakes and did a 180 on my bike to go back. They were bringing in the racks. I stopped at the last one. It was the $10 rack. I shuffled through and found almost a dozen things that looked good and <might> fit.

"Can I take all these into a dressing room?"

"Sure, the one in the corner's a good one." No one else was around, just the clerk and me.

I tried them all on. Well, not all. Some clearly wouldn't fit. I'm a big girl, after all

Found a pretty brown linen skirt, marked down from $101. Two nice tencel-rayon tanks, down from $42. They all fit perfectly.

$185 worth of clothes for $30.

I rode home, and I just felt happy.

And today, G___ said, "I don't know what you're doing, but you're really looking good these days."

Too many sales like that, and I may become addicted to shopping…


No comments:

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.
~Helen Keller

Reading List for Information about Transpeople

  • Becoming a Visible Man, by Jamison Green
  • Conundrum, by Jan Morris
  • Gender Outlaw, by Kate Bornstein
  • My Husband Betty, by Helen Boyd
  • Right Side Out, by Annah Moore
  • She's Not There, by Jennifer Boylan
  • The Riddle of Gender, by Deborah Rudacille
  • Trans Liberation, by Leslie Feinberg
  • Transgender Emergence, by Arlene Istar Lev
  • Transgender Warriors, by Leslie Feinberg
  • Transition and Beyond, by Reid Vanderburgh
  • True Selves, by Mildred Brown
  • What Becomes You, by Aaron Link Raz and Hilda Raz
  • Whipping Girl, by Julia Serano

I have come into this world to see this:
the sword drop from men's hands even at the height
of their arc of anger
because we have finally realized there is just one flesh to wound
and it is His - the Christ's, our
Beloved's.
~Hafiz